There are few more pressing problems weighing on our New York communities than the crime, injury, and death that result from drug and alcohol addiction. While it is by no means a new struggle, the last few years have seen a precipitous rise in substance abuse affecting all walks of life. Increasing numbers of hospitalizations are being reported year after year and deaths resulting from substance abuse are becoming frighteningly common.
No matter where you live in New York, a leading cause of accidental death in recent years has been fatal overdose. New York is among the states with a sharpest increase in deaths by fatal overdose of alcohol or drugs. Between abuse of prescription drugs, and the street trade in illicit substances, drugs are easy to procure. New York desperately needs addiction recovery solutions that are just as accessible and effective as the alcohol and drugs that are killing people.
- Most Commonly Abused Substances in New York – Drug and alcohol abuse patterns are generally described regionally, nationally, or even internationally rather than just city or state boundaries. Even though that’s true there are many reasons one might want to learn about the behavior patterns of New York’s citizens where drug and alcohol abuse, addiction, and deaths are concerned. By better understanding what substances are most commonly abused in the state we can determine what programs need more funding, development and attention. Understanding the risks can help us prepare and protect our children.
- New York Substance Abuse Statistics – While it’s difficult to delve into substance abuse statistics, understanding the research studies that are available is crucial to supporting a state that is bearing the loss these illicit substances cause. Scientific and academic studies help illuminate the ties between mental illness, suicide, crime, neglect, adolescent drinking or drug use, trauma, or abuse and how each interacts with the drug epidemic in New York.
- What are the Leading Causes of Addiction in New York – Nature vs. Nurture, or some combination of the two? Why do people develop addictive behaviors? Who is at fault? Is it fair to stigmatize people suffering from addiction, or does that just reinforce the problem by pressuring addicts into not revealing they have a problem in order to avoid ostracization?
- Opioids in New York – Between the street market and the drugs flowing from pharmacies, New York is saturated with deadly drugs. The prevalence can make it difficult to avoid, even if someone is trying to remove themselves from temptation. Usage of heroin, fentanyl, and cocaine is on the rise while opioids are frequently prescribed as pain medication or even in the form of cough syrup.
- How Does Meth Affect New York – Meth used to be a much more commonly discussed drug. Today, even though it is still a prevalent drug used in New York, it has taken a backseat ever since opioid abuse skyrocketed, bring the substance abuse related death numbers with it. Despite this, it is an extremely dangerous and addictive drug that is powerfully destructive to the fabric New York’s communities.
- Cocaine Is Still Common In New York – Cocaine is another drug that used to to really worry the public, but since opioid abuse has become such a pressing problem due to its meteoric rise in New York and the rest of the world, cocaine has somewhat faded from the public eye. However cocaine is still as common as it ever has been both used on it’s own and mixed with opioids such as heroin and fentanyl.
- Tiered Addiction Recovery Treatment in New York – Regardless of the substance involved, the top addiction treatment facilities in New York will be the rehab centers that shape each individual’s treatment program around the specific individual patient in question therefore taking into account each person’s unique needs and struggles. The best treatment facilities will offer the patients a tiered program of recovery, comprised of medically supervised detox, rehab programs designed around excellent comprehensive behavioral therapy and other forms of therapeutic sessions as well. After rehab an addict needs to seek out continuing aftercare therapy program for relapse prevention.
- New York Detoxification – Once a person suffering from a drug or alcohol addiction takes the first steps to get help, detox is the very next step in the journey of addiction recovery. Detox is the step in a person’s recovery where the chemically dependent patient will do whatever work necessary to safely come off of the drug or alcohol they have been consistently taking as an addict and then continue to abstain from the intoxicating substance in order to let the toxin that they have been consuming leave their bodies and allow their bodies to get back to homeostasis. The person will most likely experience some withdrawal symptoms of varying kinds and severity, depending on the substance they were taking, the person’s health and general wellbeing, as well as other variables.
- Rehabilitation in New York – After an addict finishes up detox they continue on to rehabilitation. Rehab is almost always a step of treatment that is comprised of different types of therapies; often rehab is planned around one of a few different types of behavioral therapies. The work that an addict does with their therapist is there to work through addiction but also any dual diagnosis, or co-occurring mental health disorders the patient may suffer from, to learn behavioral life skills in order to better control reactions to triggers and cravings and to build self worth so that sobriety is more than possible for the addict to sustain when they have left rehab and are out in their everyday lives.
- New York Relapse Prevention – Relapse prevention is a sort of care that usually takes place after an addict has completed a program including medically supervised detox and a therapeutic based rehabilitation. Relapse prevention therapy can have many faces. It can look like an outpatient continuing therapy program that is found through a detox and rehab facility, it can be a form of individual therapy, a 12 step program or any number of other kinds of therapy. The important thing to keep in mind is that addiction will come back full force if not consistently treated. It is the kind of illness that never hesitates to show itself if an addict is not vigilant. So as soon as a patient is out of rehab they should seek out further treatment so they can feel confident in their sobriety
- Deciding on a New York Treatment Program – It can be difficult to go through the mountains of New York drug and alcohol addiction recovery facilities to decide which program feels like it fits someone best. Luckily there are some ways that a person can know if a program is hitting the basics like offering individualized care. There are certain things that every addict should know that a program needs to be effective.
- Getting Ready for Treatment in New York – As soon as someone has made the difficult decision as to which drug and alcohol addiction treatment program that they will be going to, it might start to set in that they are actually going to go through with it and go to detox and rehab, that they are getting help and that it isn’t all ideas in their head. This is really happening. This can sometimes make people start to feel some anxiety as they start to think about what they should expect once they get to the recovery center.