Drug use is one of the most, if not the most, unhealthy lifestyle choices an individual can make. The use of drugs often results in other unhealthy ways of living such as smoking, poor diet, and irregular sleep patterns. For those in drug rehab in California, using the opportunity to make other healthy lifestyle choices can greatly help your recovery. One such positive life choice is adopting a lifestyle of nutrition.
A nutrient rich diet will not simply impact your physical health, but also will lead to improved mental health which will help with the underlying cause of the addiction. As a result of the positive changes to your well being through nutrition, not only will your recovery be positively impacted, but this new lifestyle will also help you maintain sobriety and prevent relapse.
How Drug Use Affects the Body
Different types of substance abuse affect the human body differently. Here are some of the ways your drug and alcohol abuse may have affected you:
- Certain users may experience a suppressed appetite. A lack of eating over time can lead to malnourishment and/or hypoglycemia.
- Other users may eat a poor diet or overeat. Over time a poor diet and/or overeating can lead to increased body fat and the negative health effects that are associated with it.
- Opiates and alcohol can suppress the immune system, often leading to infections.
- Certain organs can be damaged by substance abuse including the liver, pancreas, intestines, and stomach.
- Alcohol abuse can cause several gastrointestinal disorders including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), acid reflux, and fungal intestinal infections, among others.
How Nutrition Can Aid in Drug Rehab California
If you have previously abused drugs and are currently in drug rehab in California, nutrition can improve both your physical and mental health in a number of ways. Here are just a few of the ways nutrition can help in your recovery:
- An increase of your energy
- An improved mood
- A stronger immune system
- Reduced risk of relapse due to fatigue and depression
- Repair of damaged tissues and organs
Beginner’s Tips to Nutrition
Making a healthy lifestyle change such as adopting a lifestyle of good nutrition can be overwhelming for someone under normal circumstances. It can be particularly difficult for someone undergoing the difficult rehab process. Here are a few simple tips that should net positive results:
- If you are a vegetarian, you may not be getting enough iron. If you are lactose intolerant, you may not be getting enough calcium. Consult a nutritionist to find out what multivitamins can supplement your diet.
- Eating a diet full of fruits, vegetables, and grains can improve your immune system, which may have been damaged during your substance abuse. This can prevent illnesses that can be more harmful to someone in rehab.
- Eating a healthy carbohydrate diet of whole grains, beans, potatoes, and vegetables can provide energy and help a recovering addict avoid the harmful choices of sugars and baked goods.
- A diet of lean protein, fiber, and healthy fats can help prevent the weight gain that is sometimes experienced by those going through rehab.
- Lean protein is essential to repair muscles of recovering addicts who are resuming an active lifestyle and beginning an exercise routine.
If you or a loved one are in need of drug rehab in California, please contact us today at 844-278-2919 and get the assistance you need. Our compassionate team of counselors are available 24/7 to take your call and answer your specific questions. Do not hesitate to get help today.