sad woman thinking about alcohol rehab Alaska

How to Recognize Alcohol Poisoning

The state of Alaska has seen an influx of licensed treatment centers opening up due to the drastic increase in overdose rates over the past few years. Alcohol rehab deals with the detoxification from alcohol to prevent serious health conditions, seizures, and even death. Alcohol rehab in Alaska specifically is becoming more prominent due to the state’s own increase in overdose rates. Knowing when to get help for an addiction is crucial to survival if in an advanced stage of alcoholism.

How Alcohol Poisoning Occurs

Alcohol poisoning is likely no stranger to the average alcoholic before beginning treatment in alcohol rehab Alaska. Alcohol poisoning occurs when too much alcohol is consumed in a very short period of time, raising the blood alcohol level to .08 or higher. Binge drinkers are at a much greater risk for alcohol poisoning for this reason. If a person drinks large quantities of liquor rapidly, the metabolism and liver will have a difficult time ridding the body of alcohol, leading to the life threatening situation of alcohol poisoning.

Distinction Between Alcohol Poisoning and a Hangover

Let’s say you go out drinking at a bar. You consume so much liquor in a 3 hour period, that you get completely drunk and end up blacking out. The next day, you wake up more hungover than you’ve ever been in your life. You may have a horrible headache, nausea, fatigue, confusion, and shakiness. Delirium tremens may be present, or even signs of hypoglycemia. All of these symptoms–while problematic–do not necessarily mean that you have alcohol poisoning. You may be drinking irresponsibly like this for some period of time, blacking out and getting into trouble, but this does not necessarily make you an alcoholic either. You may just be a hard and irresponsible drinker. The same is true for alcohol poisoning.

There is a distinction between poisoning your body, and simply drinking too much. Take a look at some of the telltale signs of experiencing alcohol poisoning versus a heavy hangover:

  • Passing out, unconsciousness
  • Slowed or stopped breathing
  • Seizures
  • Delirium tremens
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Passing out for 12 hours or more
  • Excessive vomiting
  • Loss of memory

Usually, when an inexperienced drinker mixes many types of alcohol, and consumes it quickly enough, they are at a greater risk for alcohol poisoning. If the above symptoms are present, you must get professional help from alcohol rehab Alaska immediately. Alcohol poisoning can result in seizures, overdose, and sudden death.

Does Having Alcohol Poisoning Make Me an Alcoholic?

With the influx of treatment centers in North America, people are quick to label others as alcoholics. However, there are basic criteria for determining if you are suffering from alcohol use disorder, or if you are simply a hard drinker. In the treatment program Alcoholics Anonymous, members are taught by sponsors that there are 2 basic criteria to determine whether or not you are an alcoholic:

  1. If you honestly want to quit drinking but you find you cannot quit entirely
  2. If when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take in

If you find these two criteria to be true of you, it is likely that you have experienced blackout drinking, alcohol poisoning, and some incredibly uncomfortable hangovers. Do not wait any longer. Contact us today to get the help you need from alcohol rehab Alaska and avoid the dangers of alcohol poisoning before it’s too late.

If you or a loved one is struggling with an alcohol addiction, please call us today at (844) 338-5046 to get help. Our compassionate team is available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have.